All cooking is to be displayed on small white paper plates. A doily may be used. Please ensure entry cards are stapled to the paper plate, and not the wrapping. After judging, competitors may take half the cake home.
N.B. All exhibits must be ready for presentation and in the pavilion before 9AM on the day of judging,
30th March 2007.
- If using a fan forced oven, cook at approximately 20deg below recommended
- Eggs should weigh approximately 2oz.
- One tablespoon of syrup will replace an egg.
- If your butter is hard to cream, add 1 tablespoon boiling water, this will also
help remove “sugar spots”.
- Pour pikelet mixture from point of spoon to get a good shape.
- When making a sponge, beat egg white for approximately 12 minutes.
- Plain sponge sandwich should be joined with jam, preferably raspberry.
- Use no more than 1 teaspoon butter in icing.
- A few drops of glycerin will make icing shiny & white and stop sweating.
- Orange cake should be iced with orange icing, on top only.
- Chocolate icing should match colour of cake.
- Shortbread should be a very pale straw colour.
- Boiled fruit cake should not be too rich, fruit and spices should give the required
- Over boiling of fruit will make fruit burst and cake will be dry. (2 - 3 minutes
boiling is sufficient)
- Top of fruit cake should be nice and glossy, to achieve this, wet your hands and
pat top of cake before cooking.
- Jams & jellies should have a slightly tremulous consistency. If boiled too long,
they will be stiff.
- Pickles should be made some time before the Show to give them time to mature.