Minutes May 3rd 2010 for Jandowae and District Show Society Inc.
Present: Katy & Ivan Grundy, David Greenup, Lillian Krog, Gladys Franz, Rod & Dale Dolley, George Sturgess, Sue Wilson, Maree Cameron, Donna Tanner, Margaret Atkinson.
Apologies: Reverend Carolyn Sherrard, Kate & Ian Russell, Neville Schumann, Heather Gall, Celie Jeitz.
Welcome: David Greenup welcomed everyone especially the two new members Dale and Rod Dolley.
Minutes Of Previous Meeting: Read by M. Atkinson. The minutes as read be accepted was moved by S Wilson, seconded by G Sturgess. Carried. .
Correspondence: Read by M Atkinson Moved as accepted by M Atkinson, 2nd by D Greenup. Carried. .
Treasurer's Report : Read by D Tanner . Moved as accepted by D Tanner, seconded by M Atkinson. Carried.
Accounts for payment Moved by M Atkinson seconded by D Tanner. Carried.
- Tree planting grant. :
A lengthy discussion regarding the tree planting project. Those members knowledgeable about trees advised that they should be planted immediately or wait till after the frost, i.e. namely September. Immediately is not feasible as background work to be done. This means that we cannot plant on Arbor Day in June or even on National Tree day in July. Also it was decided that we have an expert look at our soil on the Showgrounds and advise the best drought tolerant shade trees for that area. L Krog together with other members of the Showgrounds Committee and members of the Show Society will assess the area and draw up a map as to where the best places to plant the trees. Consideration has to be given regarding electric cables, water pipes etc. This will be investigated. The National Green Jobs Corps have advised that they are now unable to assist with this project, which is disappointing, so our members will do the planting. M Atkinson has written to the Jandowae Scouts asking them to be part of the Tree Planting ceremony when it occurs on a date to be advised. M Atkinson to advise Powerlink of each stage of the project and to apologise for any delays.
- Western Downs Meeting of all Shows.. L Krog advised that the several meeting that have occurred, involving members of all the Show Societies in the district, should have been members of the various Showground Committees. In future the Show Society will no longer be part of these meetings but will co-operate with the Showground Committee on requirements for the Showgrounds. L Krog advised that the council has asked for a capital works program to be drawn up. They have advised that there is no money for the much needed maintenance but only for capital works. A set amount will be allocated each year upon the request of each showground. This money can be saved towards any new buildings etc required. L Krog is to check costs for a new large open shed with storage area included on the plan to present to Council
- Companion Card: Margaret advised that the Jandowae show Society is now affiliated with Companion Card and this will be accepted at our Show with Stickers to be provided and Margaret will advise Rotary who man the gate, that we accept Companion Cards. This information to be included in 2011 Show Schedule.
- Liquor Accord meeting Bell: M Atkinson attended the meeting and advised the members of what was discussed, namely the banning of four citizens of Jandowae from all local hotels and clubs for 6 months and the Show Society's role in carrying out any future bans on the night of the Show.
- Miss Showgirl Jandowae: The Committee and members congratulate Jody Bowman, from Jandowae, for being chosen as the Darling Downs Miss Runner Up 2010 . L Krog. has put an article in the Jandowae Magazine to this effect. Jodie has written a letter of thanks to the Show Society for opportunity to be Miss Showgirl. M Atkinson to reply and invite Jody to be involved in 2011 Show. M Atkinson to send complimentary tickets to Renae Radke and her parents for 2011 Show.
- Rubber band Guns: Sergeant Mark Avent has requested that rubber band guns to be banned as they could be dangerous. M Atkinson to write to QCAS requesting they be put on the list of ‘banned good’ for until such times as these are included on the list we are unable to ban them.
- Show Improvement: Following a discussion it was resolved to be more careful in the placement of food stalls in relation to Rodeo.
- A donation of $100 to Jandowae State School: Moved K Grundy seconded by D Tanner — M Atkinson to send as a contribution towards the school's field trip to Canberra and to thank them for the student’s contribution to the Show.
- A donation to Jandowae Kindergarten: M Atkinson to send towards the Quiz Night
- Ute Muster: M Atkinson to contact Pat Tynan Bell regarding the logistics of having a Ute Muster for next year.
- Timbertown: M Atkinson to advise the organisers that the Show Society is unable to have a stall at the festival.
- Discover Dalby Spring Sensation: M Atkinson to advise the organisers that the Show Society is unable to participate.
- Woolworth's Gift Voucher: CEO Melbourne sent two Gift vouchers of $50 each to replace the one that did not turn up in the mail. The second is to be used as part of our Melbourne Cup fund raising lunch.
- $150 Worth Of Left Over Soft Drinks: L Krog will arrange disposal at the Rotary Car boot sale.
- Rich Fruit Cake Winner: M Atkinson to advise Adele Saville of QCAS that there was no winner this year .
Meeting Closed: 9 50 pm.
Next Meeting: 7.30 PM at the Cultural Centre on Monday June 7th 2010.