• If using a fan forced oven, cook at approximately 29° below recommended heat.
• Eggs should weigh approximately 2oz.
• One tablespoon of syrup will replace an egg.
• If your butter is hard to cream, add 1 tablespoon boiling water, this will also help remove “sugar spots”.
• Pour pikelet mixture from point of spoon to get a good shape.
• When making a sponge, beat egg white for approximately 12 minutes.
• Plain sponge sandwich should be joined with jam, preferably raspberry.
• Use no more than 1 teaspoon butter in icing.
• A few drops of glycerine will make icing shiny & white and stop sweating.
• Orange cake should be iced with orange icing, on top only.
• Chocolate icing should match colour of cake.
• Shortbread should be a very pale straw colour.
• Boiled fruit cake should not be too rich, fruit and spices should give the required colouring.
• Over boiling of fruit will make fruit burst and cake will be dry. (2 - 3 minutes boiling is sufficient)
• Top of fruit cake should be nice and glossy, to achieve this, wet your hands and pat top of cake before cooking.
• Jams & jellies should have a slightly tremulous consistency. If boiled too long, they will be stiff.
• Pickles should be made some time before the Show to give them time to mature.
All cooking is to be displayed on small white paper plates. A doily may be used. Please ensure entry cards are stapled to the paper plate, and not the wrapping. After judging, competitors may take half the cake home.
|Culinary Section||Schedule||Show Society||Clubs||Services||Events|